Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Professional Article Review

"They loved your GPA, then they saw your Tweets" Review

The article "They loved your GPA, then they saw your Tweets" was about how students should be careful about what they post on social media. Some colleges look at students' social media to determine if they should be accepted into the college. Many students have been denied acceptance into colleges for what they have posted on social media.  

One of the things that surprised me in this article was the fact that some colleges keep a track of students' social media. I hadn't realized that colleges may be able to track their online media and even deny acceptance into their college for their posts. Another thing that I hadn't thought about was that some colleges may deny some students for false accusations if they find a social media account with the same name but not the same person. 

While reading the article, I was confused on why would some colleges think that looking at a student's social media account might lead to unfair treatment. Wouldn't colleges want to deny students that look like they'd be troublesome? Wouldn't it benefit them to accept only those that seem to behave appropriately? I was also confused on why some colleges don't think they should use a student's activity online as apart of their admission decisions. What if the student was threatening others or was very rude to people online? Without knowing what the student is like online, some colleges may accept very troublesome students that may hurt their reputation.

After reading this article, this does not at all impact my social media usage. I don't go on any social media, so I wouldn't have any problem with being denied by colleges for those reasons. This article did make me want to keep my ground and stay away from social media just as I have been. I do not plan to join any social media websites any time in the future. I still think that social media is a waste of time, but it is a good way to stay connected to others. Colleges shouldn't deny students for things they posted in the past or little inappropriate comments. They should only deny students if they have consistently shown online that they cannot control themselves and have a horrible attitude towards others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment